Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Using the Iditarod as an instructional tool

Years ago my father used to race sled dogs. One of the family stories is about me at two being taken for a ride by the dogs. My father had tied them up and gone in to the A-frame for something. By the time he came out the dogs had gotten lose and were running full tilt down the trail, with me sitting in the sled.

My mother noticed this article: How schools use the Iditarod as an instructional tool.

This is one of the things homeschoolers do so well. We have a different mind set. We are often looking for learning experiences every where, not just in the classroom.


---------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, parenting, children, public school, public education, education

2 comments:

Heather said...

When we get to studyinog it -- my kids can say they have a realtive who raced in the Iditarod. I have to get the details form my MIL again - but a great great uncle ran it. (didn't win though)

ChristineMM said...

Yes homeschoolers use lessons like these, learning from real life all the time. I am glad some schooled kids are getting to do that too and are not just cramming practice worksheets for their state standardized test.

There are some fantastic picture books supposedly for kids ages 4-8 but they have more history and info in them than I ever knew. We are lucky to have a library near us that has a whole bunch of Iditarod books in it, otherwise I'd be tempted to buy them all.