Friday, January 11, 2008

Would you like to stop contributing to Social Security?

Brad Igou has a fascinating story about The Amish & Social Security. In brief the Amish were able to get an exception from being forced to contribute to Social Security.

I did a little research on with Google and it really does appear that the Amish don't have to contribute to Social Security.

I wonder if anyone has joined the Amish just to avoid paying into a broken system.

(Hat tip: Reddit)


----------
Technorati tags: Amish, Social Security

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post and story about the Amish legitimate conviction against insurance.
As a tax preparer, I am aware of a similar exemption for ministers that hold a sincere objection to retirement insurance. They can chose to be exempt from paying SS tax. Of course this is a serious decision and cannot be reversed.

As for converting to the Amish faith and lifestyle-that's a serious decision also. I've read several Beverly Lewis novels based in the Amish communities. While I know that are novels, I also know that Mrs Lewis has done her research and the Amish lifestyle is a difficult one to follow.
Carol

Anonymous said...

We don't pay social security. And we're not Amish. : )

My husband works for the railroad and they have their own retirement thing, separate from SS.