Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mrs. C reminded me of "Math Education: An Inconvenient Truth"

Mrs. C of Homeschool and Etc. recently reminded me of a good video, Math Education: An Inconvient Truth, about the problems with how math is taught in public schools:



I saw this video some time last year. I don't know why I didn't add it to the blog. It may have been before I realized how easy it was to include YouTube videos in a blog.


----------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, parenting, children, public school, public education, education

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Oh, for crying out loud! Some of these methods didn't work in 1960 as a way to do math, and they probably don't work any better now.

I was in a 5th grade class in which the 2nd method of division was taught. I'm not naturally mathematical and my division homework was long lines of 10x equations added at the bottom of the page ... and beyond.

The school (Douglas School System by Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota, just in case these things are tracked somewhere) must have decided that the methods weren't useful as my classmates and I were given the older textbooks the next year ... with no remediation that I can remember. I got my first D-grades in math that year (probably exacerbated by worsening eyesight).

I can't believe this useless method has been resurrected.