Thursday, November 15, 2007

Unintended consequences - public schools and diet

Joanne Jacobs reports on the results of Boulder schools trying to force their students to eat healthy foods in Sweet and down low. Some schools banned sweets and sodas from vending machines. Several students saw this an opportunity.

Joanne writes:

"His parents thought he was selling drugs. He took them out to dinner to explain: He was a candy pusher using his Costco connection to buy low and sell high. Another Boulder boy got his parents to finance his candy purchases but complained when lower-priced competition cut into his profit margin."

I'd love to see where these entrepreneurs end up.

This reminds me a bit of prohibition. The school administrators decide to dictact what the students "will" eat at school. The students rebel. Many of them are still eating what they want to eat, but now there is an underground economy.

The school is teaching the students to break the law. I'm sure this was an unintended consequence.

Joanne concludes with: "...they’re learning economics, marketing and math."


----------
Technorati tags: public school, public education, children, education

2 comments:

Sebastian said...

Oh, I remember doing this. Gum was allowed at recess. I could buy a pack for 25cents and sell every piece for a quarter. I even got classmates to give me unused sections of their papers during our newspaper units (evidently, I was the only one that had noticed a 2 for 1 coupon on an inside page).
Alas, they cracked down on any sales of food (or toothpicks; a classmate had the market cornered with cinnamon flavored sticks). I wonder if I would have had enough respect and fear of the teachers to stop if I were a student now?

NYC Educator said...

That's hilarious. Is the kid evil for breaking the rule, or simply a sharp businessperson?

Just added it to the carnival. It should be up on Wednesday. Thanks for sending it.