Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A few selections from my mother

My mother was a high school math teacher when she met my father. After they got married she stayed home to raise me and my siblings. When my youngest siblings was in high school my mother went back to college to get a Masters. She worked for several years as a technical writer and then retired. Now she likes to go for walks in the park, work on her garden and surf the internet. Here are a few posts she recently forwarded to me:

Mark Morford, a columnist for the San Francisco Gate warns that The next generation might just be the biggest pile of idiots in U.S. history. A friend of Mark's is a public school teacher in Oakland and has seen a huge decline in his high school students over the decades. Maybe the teacher would have some hope for the future if he met some homeschool students who get a real education.

After a natural disaster you may be on your own for days or weeks. Popular Mechanics has tips on how to Survive Anything: Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Floods ...etc.

I learned a new term: dropout factory. A 'dropout factory' is "a high school where no more than 60 percent of the students who start as freshmen make it to their senior year." Yahoo! News carries a report that 1 in 10 schools are 'dropout factories.'


----------
Technorati tags: , ,

No comments: