Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Conspiracy Theory

I stumbled across an interesting rant about A Very Short, Very Sad History of American Education During the Last 100 years. The author, Bruce Deitrick Price, makes the argument that the down turn in education was a result of deliberate planning.

Our top educators circa 1900 decided that American students really did not need so much reading, writing, and arithmetic, not to mention science, history, geography and all the rest. What American students needed was more group activities and social engineering. These educators drew up a blueprint for greater conformity and passivity, with the right people in control...

Our early educators decided they would first take control of the teachers colleges. The country’s future teachers could be radicalized and sent to the small towns of America, where they would reprogram (i.e., dumb down) the public schools and what was taught there. These “progressive” teachers would create a New American Child--more uniform, more pliable, with fewer academic skills, and a reduced ability to think independently.



I think my father-in-law would agree with this one. He began college with the intent of becoming a teacher. He didn't make it through one "education" class before quitting in disgust.

Recently, when going through my late parents' keepsakes, I found a paper written by my grandfather when he was a math professor at San Jose State University. The document was undated, but I believe it was written sometime in the 1960's. His thesis stated that math training for school teachers was lacking. He gave specific example of basic math concepts that current teachers could not teach their elementary students because they themselves had never been taught them.

A few years ago, I had this analysis confirmed. While talking to a friend who was finishing student teaching, I was struck by a comment she made. She said, "I decided to teach kindergarten or first grade because I couldn't handle the second grade math."

I was stunned. At the time, I just assumed she wasn't very bright. Now, I wonder if the problem wasn't her, but the training she received to become a teacher. My friend went on to become a teacher in a poor intercity school. She is very devoted to her students and makes extraordinary efforts to help her students. However, she can't give them skills she hasn't got.

Mr. Price has quite a few interesting education rants on his website. He takes on what he calls the look-say or whole word fraud in A Tribute to Rudolph Flesch.

I don't know if I totally buy the idea that the problems in education are totally by design. But, it is worth a second look.


Either way, I’m glad to be on the outside looking in. There’s no place like home(school).


----------------
Related Tags:
, , , , ,

10 comments:

gudipudi said...

very well narrated ....

cheers
gudipudi
---------------------------
www.educationtrak.com

Shannon said...

There is a good amount of evidence supporting this theory. It's fascinating to me and I wish I had more time to research it. Thanks for the link.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

I actually believe it. As a product of the public school system I actually received the majority of my education during summer break when I choose to pursue my own academic interest.

I child that doesn't love learning & isn't self motivated doesn't have a chance in the public school system.

Anonymous said...

Far too much evidence to ignore. Have you ever read John Taylor Gatto's "The Underground History of American Education." Changed my world!

One could make the point that directly or indirectly, these changes ruined the system.

Janine Cate said...

I've heard that Gatto's book is very good.

My own experience in grade school and was actually pretty good because my parents always choose to live in very small towns.

For example, there were only 10 students in my 4th grade class. So, I was allowed to work ahead.

The more I think about it, the more I see wasted opportunities. Kindergarten and first grade were so/so. Second grade was bad. Third and forth grade were wonderful. Fifth grade was good. Sixth grade was so/so because we all had to go the same speed and do the same work. I spent a lot of time fighting with the teacher over the asnwers to the assignmetns. The teacher would always refer to the answer key in the back of the book. I don't think it was a very good text book.

Consent of the Governed said...

I believe there are forces at work to make us compliant and also blind consumers of "stuff"...
But then again I went through the 60's and 70's when the generational slogan was "Question Authority".
Gatto's book surely makes some salient points.. I cannot wait until his movie comes out. One also has to read Charlotte Iserbyt and Bev Eakman's writings.

Anonymous said...

Judy, what movie is that, that's coming out?

I can believe it! I still remember being a Senior and one of my friends wondering who the first President was. Another time, a friend that was in college to be a teacher asked if Milwaukee was a state?!?

- Homeschool Mommy
www.homeschoolblogger.com/eclecticeducation

Janine Cate said...

I didn't know what the electoral college was until after I was married, which was also a few years after I graduated from college.

Bruce Deitrick Price said...

Janine Cate,
Thanks for discussing one of my columns a year+ ago, The post you called Conspiracy Theory. I keep running into it in Google; and now I see there are some good responses. Here's an update:
1) My sense that our educators mainly see themselves as social engineers has grown stronger. I have a piece on my main site called "38: Saving Public Schools," which argues that we first have to remove all the bad ideas these rascals have injected into the schools. Very sweeping. You'll enjoy it.
2) Meanwhile, I collected all my best excerpts into a small book called "THE EDUCATION ENIGMA--What Happened to American Education" (on Amazon). When it was done, I had this unexpected thought that the main beneficiary, if this book is widely read, will be home schoolers! (It's not about them.) Because my work tends to diminish the credibility of so-called experts. I just put piece on ezinearticles called "Homeschooling Parents Should Find Comfort In New Book." Please check. Then read/review/interview/ask me for book, anything to get people discussing themes in book.
Bruce Deitrick Price / Improve-Education.org

Janine Cate said...

Bruce,
I look forward to checking out your new book.