Monday, November 13, 2006

UK reports sharp increase in home education

Here's article from the other side of the pond.

Sharp increase in home education


The number of children withdrawn from school to be educated at home has increased by 39% in one year.

Figures from the Scottish Executive showed that a total of 580 pupils were known to have been taken out of school by their parents in 2005/06.

A further 130 youngsters learning at home, had never been to school.



Apparently a new policy called "statutory guidance" introduced in 2002 requires that schools give parents information about homeschooling if they ask.

I wonder what the policy is here in the USA. When I filed my R4 form (to register as a private school ) in California, my school district sent me a packet about homeschooling. It listed local homeschool support groups and websites.

Because the property tax rates are so high in my area, the school district doesn't loose much federal or state funding when a student withdrawls. I think it is something like $300 per student. They get the local property tax money regardless of the number of students in the district. So, at least here in Santa Clara Unified School District, they leave homeschoolers alone.

It is wonderful to see homeschooling expanding around the world.



-----------------
Related Tags: , ,

2 comments:

uniquematerial said...

39% is an astounding number of people - especially for just one year.

I hope this sends a strong message. I hope they listen.

Janine Cate said...

While I hope the problems at school improve, I hope parents keep their kids home regardless.

There are so many benefits for children and their families when children don't spend most of their time in an institutional setting.