Thursday, November 02, 2006

Pumpkin Overload


















I had quite the pumpkin week.

We grew pumpkins in our garden this year. We kept a few for jack-o-lanterns and sold or traded the rest at homeschool park day. On Tuesday, when we carved the pumpkins, I saved and cooked the seeds.

Yesterday, I cut up and cooked one of our jack-o-lanterns. For dinner we had pumpkin soup with rolls that we had received in payment for a pumpkin sold at park day. For desert, I made a pumpkin custard (pie without the crust). I got the recipe from a Moosewood cook book. It used honey and molasses and no processed sugar. It may only be psychological, but I feel better when I use honey instead of white sugar.

This morning, I made pumpkin muffins for breakfast. I have another jack-o-lantern to cut up and cook today. I'm freezing the cooked pumpkin for use at another time.

Here are the pumpkin recipes I used, just in case you have some pumpkin to use up.


Baked Garlic Pumpkin seeds

After removing seeds from pumpkin, rinse and drain. Toss seeds with olive oil and garlic salt. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes. At the end of 30 minutes, turn off oven and leave pumpkin seeds in oven to finish baking.


Pumpkin Curry Soup

Throw ingredients in a pot and simmer.

3 chicken broth (or water with bullion powder)
1 chopped onion sautéed in butter (or 2 tablespoon dried onion)
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups pumpkin
1 tablespoon honey

After simmering for 15 minutes, add 1 cup evaporated milk.



Pumpkin Pie/Custard

3 cups pumpkin puree
3/4 cups honey
2 tablespoons molasses
1/4 teaspoons powdered cloves
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs slightly beaten
1 can evaporated milk

Mix and bake in a buttered dish at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes or till set.




Pumpkin muffins

1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 to 1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup whole wheat floor
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup water

Mix dry ingredients in bowl. Mix wet ingredients in another bowl. Combine. Spoon into greased muffin tins. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try a recipe for pumpkin rolls.


-------------
Related Tags:




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Janine.. These look yummy..

Sprittibee said...

I have a pumpkin pie cheesecake recipe..., a pumpkin-pecan pie recipe (that I made last Thanksgiving) and pumpkin spice cookie recipe. I love pumpkin.

Sprittibee said...

By the way, that is a great pumpkin photo! :) We went to a pumpkin farm last week, too.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

I have a pumpkin cookie recipe on my blog.

Thanks for the recipes we love pumpkin in the Alawine household.