Monday, August 07, 2006

Tags - the power of tags & how to add easily

Several months ago I noticed that a lot of bloggers were adding tags to the end of their posts. Tags are a way for the author to indicate some of the key concepts in his post. For more information check out Wikipedia on tags or Technorati on tags.

At first I was reluctant to use tags. It seemed like more work and I wasn't sure it was worth the effort. Then Spunky told me about a web site, UltraSeeker, which would automatically generate the HTML for tags. This makes adding tags pretty trivial. You enter the key words into UltraSeeker, click on Build My Tags Now!, and then copy out the HTML. I normally just copy from the Preview Your Technorati Tags section into the compose mode for Blogger.

This seems to be paying off. Over the last month or so I've noticed a bit of an increase in the visiters coming in from search engines like Google.

So if you are not using tags in your blog, I encourage you to give it a try. It is fairly easy and will help give you more traffice.


----------
Technorati tags: , , , , ,

2 comments:

gary said...

FYI: Blogger is testing a beta version of "the new blogger" which will include tags and other new (to blogger) features. Read about it: http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/#1539734

Henry Cate said...

Thanks. It looks interesting.