Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Truth Laid Bear - Wow!

I've noticed that a number of the top bloggers I follow link to The Truth Laid Bear. So when we were getting started I signed us up. It was kind of interesting. He builds a report on how many people were linked to your blog, what your traffic was like, and how you compared to other blogs. It is fun to see our blog move up and down in both rankings.

I just noticed that The Truth Laid Bear (TTLB) has greatly improved his presentation.

For example his Hot Topics page has graphs show which topics are getting a lot of buzz in the blogosphere, and the trends over the last couple weeks.

And his report on our blog also has new visuals. Under the metrics section we have speed meters showing how the number of hits and links compared to the last month. And then under the Inbound Links and Outbound Links are some great spiral graphs showing in order who links to us, and then to whom we link. I'm sure the colors on the names mean something, but I'm not sure what. This was just rolled out, so there are a few little bugs.

One of the few down sides of TTLB's service is he only tracks those who sign up for an account and put in the HTML to connect each time their blog page is loaded. With only 50,000 blogs in his system, there are a ton of bogs not being tracked.

If you aren't using TTLB, you might want to check it out.


----------
Technorati tags: ,

3 comments:

Hanley Family said...

Yeah....but with only 50,000 blogs, you can jump up pretty quick over little things. I know it isn't accurate, but I am enjoying being number five on the education page : ) That will change probably next month as everything evens out with the changes, but it is still fun. I can pretend like that many people read my blog : )

Spunky said...

The whole stats thing is interesting to look at. I check what's hot occassionally. But I only have so much time. I haven't checked the education page at all. As far as I'm concerned I think your site (and Dana's for the matter) rank very high in my opinion. You always post interesting things that I learn a lot from. Thanks for being around no matter where your ranked.

Henry Cate said...

Dana says:
"I know it isn't accurate, ..."

I wonder sometimes just how to extrapolate TTLB to the whole blogosphere.

Currently it appears there are 30,000,000 blogs total. If we simplely scaled up, then we should have 600 more Instapundits, 600 more KOS, and so on. This should give us thousands of blogs which are getting around 100,000 hits each day.

I've looked around a bit and haven't been able to find many blogs with the kind of traffic as the blogs ranked in TTLB.

My current guess is that many of the serious bloggers are using TTLB. So maybe you are really higher in the ranking than you might realize.


And thanks Spunky for the kind words. We greatly enjoy your blog also. Both my wife and I check it almost every day.