Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Our vision of the Carnival of Homeschooling

The Carnival of Homeschooling is a forum where homeschoolers can discuss issues relating to homeschooling.

Our message is that homeschooling is good for families, good for children, and good for society.

As a group, we are non-conformists, which is expected, considering the type of people who are attracted to homeschooling. We are not looking for consensus. We do not expect consensus. Actually consensus might be rather boring. However, we expect polite dialogue with posts and comments that are enlightening, edifying, and supportive of homeschooling.

You are not going to agree with every point made. If a blogger has an issue which is near and dear to his heart, he is welcome to vent on his own blog, or post comments on the submitter’s blog. Off tangent comments aren’t appreciated on the carnival because it detracts from our message.

If you can’t work and play well with others, take your toys and (quietly) go home. Remember, each week of the carnival is different. You can always come back the next week.

7 comments:

Queen of Carrots said...

Thanks. I really appreciate what you're doing and hope you can continue to keep the Carnival open to a wide variety of perspectives.

Hanley Family said...

Thanks, Henry. Sounds like a good vision, to me. I like a good carnival with a variety of viewpoints, otherwise I might as well just read my own blog. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Just to echo Dana's comment, the carnivals have been fun. Keep up the good work.

Becky said...

Henry, I thank you for all the work you've done on the Carnival of Homeschooling, especially because a weekly effort like this demands huge effort.

It's a wonderful way to promote the message, as you write, "that homeschooling is good for families, good for children, and good for society." Which is why I'm so concerned when homeschooling in general and now the Carnival in particular become linked to something as awful, unacceptable, and obviously not representational of all homeschoolers as abusive child training methods. As a homeschooler and a human being, I have no wish to be tarred with the same brush, and if it means taking my marbles and going home, so be it. Frankly, there should be consensus when it comes to such methods.

Thanks again, Henry and Janine, for all of your work, and great good luck for the carnival's success.

ChristineMM said...

Thank you for posting your vision which is what I had assumed or presumed that it was.

I appreciate that the Carnival of Homeschooling exists for us. I have found it a source of information, inspiration, and support. I also have learned of new blogs that I hadn't heard about before.

Have a great day!

Spunky said...

Excellent work Henry and Janine. Keep it going. We're all never going to agree on everything. Dialogue is what makes the blogs unique. If we quench honest discussion we may as all just take our blogs and stay home.

Anonymous said...

I won't be coming back to the carnival, or your blog, thank you all the same.

I am really saddened by this because up until now I felt that your blog was a safe place to visit.