Thursday, May 11, 2006

Links to interesting postings - 11 May 2006

Recently Deborah Stevenson (of the NHELD) posted a column stating that it has never been illegal in the United States for parents to homeschool. Part of the column reviewed the history of education in America. I struggled with her claim. I'm not sure that it is true. I am pretty sure I've read at a couple accounts where parents were thrown in jail over the homeschooling issues. But I didn't have the time to verify Deborah's claim. So I was glad to see that Daryl (on his blog HE&OS) has started a dialog with Deborah over this issue. I think Daryl is right, that there have been times when some governmental organization (local or state) had laws against homeschooling. It will be interesting to watch this dialog continue.

Mary Griffith is working on another book, about viral learning. She has a questionnaire for homeschoolers. If you are willing to fill it out, go to her post It's Started.

The number of blogs doubles about every six months. And in relation to this, I haven't seen this stated as fact, but it appears the number of blog carnivals doubles every six months. Here is the first Carnival of Family Life. (Hat Tip: Principled Discovery) And the second Country Fair of Homeschooling is up.

Initially we've planned on our daughters going off to college. Over the last couple months I've started to wonder if four expensive years at a university is really the best way for them to continue to their education. I enjoyed Sherry's discussion about the value of going to college, at her blog Semicolon.


----------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, education, , , , , , , ,

No comments: