Monday, March 20, 2006

More on Susan Wise Bauer

My wife and I like Susan Wise Bauer. When we were getting started with homeschooling we were heavily influenced by The Well Trained Mind by Susan and her mother Jessie Wise. (If you haven't read Susan's typical homeschooling days, you can get the links from here.) My wife has mentioned that we use Susan's Story of the World series. (Volumes one, two, three, and four)

Awhile back Anne of PalmTree Pundit reported that Susan Wise Bauer had a blog. Susan is blogging about the process of publishing another book. I read the blog most every day.

So it was fun to read that Isabel (of The Homeschooling Revolution) found a teacher evaluation of one Susan's class. (Susan also teaches at William and Mary.)


----------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, , ,

1 comment:

ChristineMM said...

I also admire Susan Wise Bauer. I really wanted to hear her speak at a homeschooling conference but both times she was on the East Coast I was unable to go.

I was fortunate to be able to buy some (gently) used conference lecture tapes of Susan Wise Bauer from other homeschoolers. It turns out she is not only a good writer but an EXCELLENT speaker with both a great speaking voice and also she knows how to speak publically well. Her lectures are jammed with great information. I learned more things from the lectures than from reading The Well Trained Mind. I also like that I can listen to the tapes repeatedly. They make great listening while on car drives (sans children) and I love to listen to them while doing otherwise boring housework.

I advise that you get ahold of some of her conference tapes if you can. The lecture handouts are available on TWTM website if you want to browse through them to see what the content of the lectures is, to pick some to buy.

One of my favorites is how to teach science. The lecture on homeschooling high school is also great.