Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Homeschooling as punishment?

I saw a really funny letter to the editor today in the Zanesville Times Recorder. A mother writes complaining about her daughter's treatment at school, mentioning problems with bullies and bad behavior. This was here suggestion what to do with the trouble makers. (This is the funny part.)

"Homeschool them until they bring their grades up and then give them the privilege to go to school.............Parents, either teach your kids how to respect other people or keep your kids at home and let them disrespect you all day."

I think she got it all backwards. My children have the privilege to homeschool. Most homeschoolers are extremely concerned about teaching their children respect for themselves and others. It is school that permits disrespect.

I found in the same paper, an article about a boy who is facing a ten day suspension and criminal charges for bringing a squirt gun to school. They actually put the school in lock-down when a student reported seeing the squirt gun in a locker. It seems that the school won't tolerate squirt guns, but has no problem with bullies.

A few years ago, when my daughter was being difficult, I reminded her that she could go to school like everyone else. She could sit a desk all day, be bullied, forced to use bad text books, have her faith belittled, listen through lessons she already knows, spend all her free time after school doing homework, and so forth. Her response was, "No, Mom. I'll straighten up. I promise." It helped that my daughter had friends that went to school and had some bad experience to share.

My 5 year old went through a stage when she asked to go to school. She wanted to be different from her sisters. She also really wanted a lunch box. I bought her a lunch box. She hasn't brought school up again in months.

I think it is strange that this woman sees homeschooling as a punishment for bad behavior. I wonder why? I'm guessing that she thinks it is more a punishment for the parents to have to take on the responsibility of educating their kids.

I was glad to see that the mother removed her daughter from school. I hope she tries out homeschooling and discovers what it is really like.

5 comments:

Janine Cate said...

Melissa, thank for the link to this on your blog.

Grizzly Mama said...

Too funny - as I have used the possibility of sending them to school if they can't find a way to be a bit more cooperative. You know they can push some buttons now - buttons they wouldn't necessarily push on strangers.

I'm glad that my daughters hear all the time from the neighborhood kids about how lucky mine are to be homeschooled. They hate school and wish they could be homeschooled. I wish they could be too. Seems the parents don't like being around their own kids very much. It's a shame because they are all perfectly nice kids.

Both of mine wanted to go to school at first. It was the backpack/ride on the yellow bus thing that THEY wanted to do. They have beautiful backpacks and they never would have ridden the bus anyway as we are within walking distance. They got over it very quickly after hearing how awful school is from the other kids.

I hope that this mother gets to experience what a joy it is to teach her own child too. I remember when I first started I was thinking what a lot of work it was and doubting my ability to do it. It never even entered my head that I would love it and enjoy it. What a nice surprise that was!

Janine Cate said...

I know what you mean. I love it too. I love our life style, the freedom who have to travel, the freedom to go as quickly or slowly academically as needed, and the things I'm learning.

I also think the school is very glad my kids aren't there. I would have been their worst nightmare. I'm amazed at the stuff parents put up with and perplexed at why they take it.

Anonymous said...

So you tell your kids they would be bullied at school? Why? Why would you want to make them afraid of social situations with other kids? What your doing is no different than the parent who you say threatened home schooling as a form of punishment.

Janine Cate said...

Actually, all I would say is "If you don't straighten up, I will send you to school."

The information about what happens at school they get from their friends who go to school.

It has been some years since I posted this. Since then, I've had one kid beg to go to school. Last summer I signed her up for a one month all day program at a local middle school. At the end of the month, she came home and said that she never wanted to go to school.

She did like the classes, but she didn't think it was worth it. She didn't like the swearing, boy-girl drama, nasty girls, trashy clothes, and the waste of time.