Monday, September 01, 2014

Public school would have ruined another kid

Years ago my wife wrote about how School would have ruined that kid!  The main point was that our older two daughters were very late readers and such late readers don't typically do very well in public schools.  I followed up a little later that our late readers were turning out fine and had developed a love for reading.

Our son has even more pronounced issues.  At seven-years-old he struggles to talk, and is only getting the basics of reading down.  In a public school he would be in second grade and be given a number of labels, like late reader, slow, challenged and so on.

Since we homeschool we are able to let him go at his pace.

Recently on Storynory he has been listening to stories about a young girl who becomes a professional singer.  Today he spent over an hour writing out songs.  You have to be a bit of a detective to figure out the words, and sometimes I have to ask.  Very few of the words are spelled correctly, but I've noticed an improvement over the last month.  If he were attending any of the local public elementary schools I'm afraid he would have become self conscious and stopped trying to write.

Later today he spent another hour in our living room building a fortress out of chairs, carpets, blankets and so on.

My son is working hard and is making progress.  I think by the time he is twenty he will be caught up with his peers and will do just fine in life.  I don't know where he will end up, but it will be fun to see.

I am so glad we homeschool, that we can help him according to his needs.

No comments: