Monday, September 09, 2013

TED Talks from a teenager's perspective

My oldest daughter contributed this thought about some TED talks she has watched:

----------
Hi, Eldest here again.

You may have noticed that my dad really likes TED talks. He thinks they do a pretty good job choosing interesting speakers.

He went through a phase where he asked us to watch a TED talk and then write a report. So over a couple weeks I watched several different TED talks. I would like to tell you about some of my favorites.

Sugata Mitra’s new experiments in self-teaching was one of the first TED talks I watched. In this video Sugata Mitra discusses how to teach children in places where there aren’t a lot of schools.

He demonstrates that just giving children access to information and someone to report on their progress, like friends or little old ladies over the internet, kids will learn. They don’t need teachers, tutors, or high tech toys.

It was a really interesting TED talk and Mitra showed the real-life experiment that did this.


Another one of my favorites Christopher McDougall: Are we born to run? shows just how far humans can push their bodies. McDougall tells some amazing stories about ultra-runners.

This video really made me want to start running. I started first by exercising on the elliptical with the ipad in front of me. Close enough.


Eric Whitacre: A virtual choir 2,000 voices strong is really awesome.  Eric Whitacre created a choir of people from around the world.  Each singer recorded themselves singing along with the score and then sent in the recording. These recordings were compile into one record.  All these voices created one amazing performance.

The entire song is not included in the TED talk; it wasn’t done when the talk was given.  It is now up on youtube in its entirety. Go listen to it; the list of names at the end is amazing.
----------


1 comment:

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Eric's video was amazing! Enjoyed being introduced to that. I'm going to show my daughters later today since both enjoy singing in the choir. Thanks for posting that!