Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Chem Lab Camp Day 2

Continuation from Chem Lab Camp Day 1 and Lab Sciences.

Today's lab went very similar to yesterdays. However, we blew two fuses this time. One in the garage and one in the kitchen. We discovered that when we run the extension cord into the kitchen, we need to turn off the kitchen lights. ;)

We have also extended out our time to 5 hours per meeting instead of 4 1/2. When we were in the planning stages, 4 1/2 hours seemed too long. But, now it doesn't seem long enough.

Here's what we have covered so far.

From the Standard/Honors Home School Chemistry Laboratory Kit CK01A Instruction Manual:  

Day 1: 

Note: We reversed #1 and #2. The teacher covered the importance of "Keeping a Lab Notebook" before the students went through the contents of their kits. 

1. Introduction Getting Started
     Kit Contents
     Materials You Provide
     Where to Work
     Laboratory Safety
     Final Words

2. Keeping a Lab Notebook

Note: We began Session I-1 and Session 1-2 and completed them the following day. 

Topic I. Separating Mixtures
     Session I-1: Recrystallization
     Session I-2: Chromatography


Day 2:

Note: We completed Session I-1 and Session 1-2 and the students wrote a lab report on the results.

Topic I. Separating Mixtures
     Session I-1: Recrystallization
     Session I-2: Chromatography


Topic II. Solubility and Solutions Session
     II-1: Solubility as a Function of Temperature


Next: Chem Lab Camp Day 3

No comments: