Thursday, May 19, 2011

Another reason to homeschool - to avoid indoctrination

One of the many reasons we homeschool is to avoid having the government schools try to control how our children think.  Dean Kalahar has an example of this as he points out in Florida high school exit exams indoctrinate children into a progressive and revisionist model critical of America that the very questions used in exit exams push a certain world view. 

Here are a selection of recent questions:

•Describe the attempts to promote international justice
•Analyze the major factors that drove United States imperialism
•Analyze the effects of domestic terrorism on the American people.
•Examine the controversy surrounding the proliferation of nuclear technology in the United States
•Assess key figures and organizations in shaping the Black Power Movement.
•Analyze significant Supreme Court decisions relating to reproductive rights.
•Describe efforts by the United States and other world powers to avoid future wars
•Examine the failure of the United States to support the League of Nations
•Discuss the economic outcomes of demobilization.

I am so glad we homeschool.

Hat tip: Spunky Homeschool

2 comments:

justyns35@hotmail.com said...

I don't know if you are a Christian or not, but it's the worldview I come from. I am assuing you are....

I guess one of the ways you gut a nation is make it forget it's greatness. (note I didn't say perfection) I work at a middle school and our young people have no clue just how profound of a nation we live in. They're history classes are so full of empty calories and some indocrination it's not even funny.
I agree Home School families have such a grand chance to teach true history, and a right worldview much better than non HS parents. Nonetheless the reality is 80% of Christian parents still choose public schools.
So the church, retailers, radio ministries etc. Need to equip our Christian siblings who "lovingly" choose public school for one reason or another .....with resources to supplement. I know there are great DVD series, books for all ages etc. That will counter this. Public School Parents have different battles, very different ones. I'd love to see a blog by you with such resources to help.

As on now my wife and I are choosing private school for our kids. I am bothered by such low expectations our public schools have. But WHAT BOTHERS ME MORE IS...... the HOMES in which these kids are sent from. We have a generation of parents purposely raising toxic children. Knowingly or unknowingly.

We still keep the Home and Public School options open. Reality is private school is expensive and it's a hard course to maintain outside from help on a one income family.

Henry Cate said...

Yes, we are Christian.

I agree, it is amazing to me that so many parents let their children stay in a toxic environment. My impression is many don't realized how broken the public schools are. There are also many who are just scared by the unknown of homeschooling.