Monday, December 01, 2008

Public school expectations

Recently I've seen more and more articles about blacks homeschooling. For a couple decades homeschooling seems to be a white thing. The claim was many blacks felt loyalty to public schools because the government was giving them an education, the "only" way out.

Joanne Jacobs reports on The Expectations gap:

----------
Eduwonk links to Education Trust slides of seventh-grade writing assignments at two California middle schools. One asks students to analyze Anne Frank’s character; the other asks students to write about “my best friend” or “a chore I hate.” The expectations gap is huge, he writes.
----------

Merely changing expectations will not improve education, but when teachers of minorities have low expectations, the children have little chance.

I expect as current black families are successful in homeschooling their children that we'll see an increasing number of students pulled from poor performing schools.


----------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, homeschool, home school, home education, parenting, children, education

2 comments:

Chris said...

Howdy! It's been awhile. Blog is looking good. Hope all's well!

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree. The standards in a lot of schools with a large percentage of minority students are really low. I'm African-American and my husband and I decided to homeschool our children and we haven't looked back since. I always know that my kids are being challenged to do their best and reach their greatest potential. We couldn't get that from public schools.