Friday, February 29, 2008

In honor of Leap Day

One of our family stories has to do with my grandmother's brother or her uncle. I've forgotten just exactly the relationship. He had been born on Leap Day, February 29th. Once in his fifties he was at a county fair. There was a shooting competition for teeangers. He applies, exlaining that he had only had 13 birthdays and so he should be allowed to participate. He was turned down. Afterwards he said he was glad they had turned him down, a couple of the boys were much better shooters.

Pirates of Penzance by Gilbert and Sullivan is one of my favorite movies. This song explores the paradoz of being born on Leap Day:





----------
Technorati tags: Leap Day

4 comments:

DJ said...

Hi, just found your blog, looking forward to future reading. I remember listening to all of Gilbert & Sullivan's music as child. I just started home schooling my 3 yr old. I was home schooled myself. Im using a combo approach, some Calvert for supplies and text and alot of what I guess is Un-schooling... letting him lead. He is soaking it up like a weed!

Hollywood office building said...

It's must be hard having your birthday on February 29th. Do you only celberate your birthday every 4 years or do you celebrate the day before or after?

As for your post, I have a young child and am debating weather to send him to public school or to home school.

Henry Cate said...

I am pretty sure they celebrated my great uncle's birthday every year. I don't know when.

Henry Cate said...

And to your second point, I believe that in general most children have a much better education when they are homeschooled.

Good luck with your decision.