Monday, September 10, 2007

What about band? - Part 2


As I mentioned earlier, we've really struggled with how to compete with the band options offered at schools. Tonight, we tried out the HP Symphony Orchestra. It was such a wonderful experience. I'm so glad we didn't go with the band at the local middle school. Interacting with well behaved adults is great. The music was challenging but not too far over her head. The orchestra has a wide variety of ages and abilities and it is such a fun group.

While sitting there listening to the rehearsal, I really wanted to play an instrument again. So, on the way home we stopped at a friends house and borrowed a trumpet. I haven't played in 23 years, but I'm going to give it a try. Since I have to be there every Monday with my daughter anyway, I figured I have nothing to loose.

My daughter is also going to continue with the homeschool band that meets on Wednesday. The music isn't as challenging, but I feel some loyalty to group. They are struggling to find enough musicians.

Between the two groups, she should get enough "band" time to be equivalent to the school experience.

UPDATE:
I spent about a half an hour with the trumpet and was only able to get a scale out. It sounded pretty scary. I think I will give it a week before I decide, but I don't think I could get up to speed fast enough to play with the HP Symphony Orchestra even if I play third trumpet.

UPDATE #2: I rented a trumpet. In the day since I've started, I've made some good progress, but I've got a long way to go.

See What about band? - Day Three

---------------------------
Technorati tags: homeschooling, Orchestra, Public School, Home School, home education, parenting, children, education,

3 comments:

Stephanie Appleton said...

We are blessed to have a homeschool band in our area. It is only the second year and it is small, but hopefully will grow.

Janine Cate said...

Great! I think music is an important part of an education.

Anonymous said...

tried to do a home school band here in san antone. it is so difficult, the wiccan kids try to put spells on the xian kids, the "special ed" kids want to beat everybody up, the "NORMAL" kids get tired of snails' paces, etc. lots of rewards, though, in teaching only six or seven to play a CHRISTmas concert in three (3) months.