Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Yahoo vs. American Online email

I've discovered that I have trouble receiving email from Yahoo to my American Online email address. I had a recent conversation with a friend and realized I had received none of the emails she sent from her Yahoo email address to my AOL email address. I spent some time on the phone with AOL's technical support, but it didn't help. They suggested that I turned off my spam filter and add her to my address book, both of which I had already done.

The strange things is that I sometimes can get email from Yahoo if the sender is directly replying to my email.

It is so frustrating. The Yahoo sender doesn't get a bounce notice, so they have no idea the email they sent didn't arrive. I have a Yahoo email account for the blog which I now use to get email from my friend with the Yahoo email account. I'm wondering just how many emails I've missed from people with Yahoo email addresses that I never found out about.

AOL claims that it is Yahoo's fault. I don't really believe that because my friend can send email to every one but me.

I've had the same AOL account for 13 years, so I am loath to get a new personal email address.

So, any suggestions?



-------------------------------
Related Tags:
, ,

5 comments:

DavidofOz said...

Go with Gmail. Great spam filtering, efficient service, lots of storage space and great search tools.
And Free.

Anonymous said...

Stop using AOL for your email. They are evil! My dad and my inlaws have all sorts of issues simply getting pictures that are attachments. This is pathetic in-fighting between AOL and Yahoo.

I finally convinced my Dad and inlaws to go and start using Gmail. Yahoo is good too, especially now that they have a larger 'inbox' size...

PS: I'm only posting anonymous because I don't want to set up a blogger act.

:-)

Anonymous said...

No magic bullet but, Can you change the reply-to field on your AOL mail? Also, can you have it all auto-forwarded with an auto reply? If so, you can automatically have anyone who sends you a note get a reply that the mail was forwarded to you NEW address and please update your address book. This will require you keep the AOL account for a while. You might want to have your auto-reply not contaion your new email so you dont tip off spammers. Then you will have to manually notify anyone who contacts you.

I agree gmail is great.

Janine Cate said...

Part of my problem is....(Gasp!)...I'm still using dial up.

Henry has DSL on his work computer at home (which I have limited access to) and I have a laptop with with wireless access to a free wifi hot spot in my neighborhood.

We keep all our banking stuff on the computer with dial up because it seems more secure that way. If I link up to DSL for Henry's work, than they have the right to access our personal computer at home. It is unlikely they would do that, but still not a secure thought. I would also have to upgrade this computer.

I have started using my yahoo email account for more than just blog stuff. It's just such a hassle to back up all my saved AOL email and address book.

I was hoping someone knew a work around about the AOL mail problem.

When we upgrade this computer, that will be the last of the dial up.

Anonymous said...

I used AOL for several years and really liked it - it was the only way I knew. Lots of people told me that AOL sucked, but I didn't know why. Eventually, I decided to change to a cheaper ISP. Everyone was right. I like it so much better this way and am saving money. You don't have to be unhappy - change your email to GMail. Gmail is free and works.