Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Wise man/Foolish man vs. April showers bring May flowers

Today my 6 year old daughter wanted to sing me a song she learned at church. Many people may recognize it from Sunday school, "The wise man and the foolish man."

"The wise man built his house upon the rock.
The wise man built his house upon the rock.
The wise man built his house upon the rock and the rains came tumbling down.
The rains came down and the flowers came up. The rains came down and the flowers came up..."


At this point I stopped her and asked her to sing that part again.

"The rains came down and the flowers came up. The rains came down and the flowers came up and the house on the rock stood firm."

"Honey, it's floods not flowers," I replied.

She looked at me blankly. "You know, like flood waters."

"NO ITS NOT! It's flowers!"

If "April showers brings May flowers" then the "rains come down the flowers came up" makes perfect sense.

I found a fun website where people share misunderstood lyrics of hymns and Christmas carols. It's a fun look into the world of childlike understanding.

4 comments:

uniquematerial said...

Your fun website had me laughing til the tears ran. How funny!
That's priceless!

Spunky said...

cute, cute, cute. Thanks for the smile.

Anonymous said...

Hello! Very cute! Thanks for the link over to more song lyric mistakes.

-gena
www.TheHomeschoolMagazine.com

Stephanie Appleton said...

too funny! I remember as a kid I thought the song Elvira (Oak Ridge Boys??) was "Hell Fire Up!"