Saturday, June 10, 2006

Kids say the funniest things

Recently, my five year old daughter surprised me with the remark, "I pray that they can cure diabetes someday."

I've been diabetic since I was 12 years old. I am in the enviable position of being in the no/low complications category even after almost 30 years of this disease. My shots, blood tests, insulin pumps, and frequent doctor visits have always been part of my children's life.

With the use of an insulin pump and frequent blood tests, I have been able to maintain my blood sugar level in a lower range. This type of treatment helps prevent complications but also runs a higher risk of blood sugar levels falling too low. As a result, I always carry a blood tester and "emergency supplies" such as a juice box or candy with me to treat low blood sugar levels. The same is true when I go to bed at night. I keep a juice box or candy by my bed to treat the occasional night time lows. My children are aware of the importance of these "treats" and are very careful not to touch them.

Because I've never really discussed the long term risks of diabetes with my children, I was surprised and touched by my daughter's comment. She had such an angelic look on her face. I thought what a sweet and generous child to pray for her mother that way.

My musing was cut short as she finished her statement in a solemn voice, "I pray that they can cure diabetes someday......that way you won't have to eat treats in front of us anymore and not share."

No comments: